Skip to main content

My second marathon - The heartbreak

My second marathon
I set out with a goal to complete the marathon within 4 hours
Best case scenario would be to complete by 3hr 50 min, worst case scenario would be 4:10
Preparation:
Registered early in May for Oct 15th Bengaluru Marathon
My plan was based on Hal Higdon intermediate plan. Modified it to so that I run on Tuesdays, Thursdays, long run Saturday and Sunday.
I was slightly ahead of plan till Aug. Then the rains came and it spoilt my Saturdays long run. But I had finished my second long run of 35.5K by 10th Sep.
Ran the Spirit of Wipro on 17th Sep, it gave me idea on my preparation was progressing. I did a Half Marathon with a Personal Best of 1:48 on a tough course, it felt good. I ran a slow first 5 K and then upped my pace till 10.5 and I really turned it on in second half for a negative split. It worked and I met planned 1:48 goal. This would be my template for Full Marathon.

I came across a timing predictor in Runner's world based on recent timing for HM and weekly mileage. I was clocking about 55 km a week; it gave me a timing of 4:01:45. I felt should be able beat my goal time.
The next weekend 24th Sep was rained off, I could manage shorter runs and was not duly worried because the long weekend was coming up. I planned to for a 39K run, if possible a 42K run.

The Saturday was a washout, I started on Sunday 1st Oct for my final run, this would give me the confidence and help gauage my preparation levels.
I started slowly for first 15kms. I felt I was slower than what I should have been. I slightly upped my pace on a downhill, by the end of the it, my groins stated cramping. Did some mild stretching and continued, by 21 km I was sitting, many other runners in GKVK campus check if I was fine. I said it was just a bad day. I latched on to couple of runners and ran for 3 k and then went home and I could barely manage 29.5 kms. My confidence was shattered. I analysed and thought on what could have gone wrong but could not pin point the problem. My nutrition was similar to had I had planned and used for 35.5K run 3 weeks before. I had done 50 Burpees the previous day and that was the only possibility. I decided I would not do anymore long runs. I had to rest and be ready.
Next weekend I ran 16 km, I tracked my Heart rate. I ran easy with HR below 140 after 5K which just below my Cardio range at least according to my Tom Tom. I was not at all tired. I tried the same thing for shorter distance 8K. I felt good and fresh after the run.

I decided my strategy would be to run slow first half not worrying about the time and I would tracking my Heart Rate instead of pace.
Nutrition during my trial runs were predominately dates, Gummies bear, Glucovita bolts and Gatorade. Bananas to be eaten before the run. Gummies were surprisingly good, it could last up to 5 min and gave decent energy. My friend had brought it for kids and I liked it. Bolts were too sweet and could not eat it during the end of the runs, so decided to drop my long favoured fuel. I felt I was lacking salt, but could manage it.
I bought couple of Fast & Up gels as a back up nutrition at the Expo. Not sure it was a good idea to try on the race. My thought was if I was in as bad a condition as last year, I could not be worse than that. I could not try out T shirt, but the Addidas T shirts was soft and light. Thought it could not chaff me. Wanted to rest the whole of Saturday but I ended up walking a lot more than I wanted to.
Race day 17-Oct
Race was supposed to start at 4:15 AM to be run in 2 loops. Planned to wake up at 2:45 AM, but ended up waking at 1 AM with sleep of just 3+ hours. I took an Uber to Kanteerva stadium, reached there by 3:30. Lots of guys warming up, they were running so many loops, I was wondering what if what was I even doing there, ran slow 600 m and did dynamic stretches. Met only one familiar face Manoj Bhat. 10 mins before the start I wanted to take leak, everybody was coming in and I was going the wrong way. Could meet Rajesh of WRC and told him that we'll run to-gether. By the time I came back to into stadium, there was a big crowd bear the start line. I ended up behind 4:30 bus.
Goipchand flagged off the race.
I started slow as intended, wanting to keep my heart rate as low as possible. Just wanted to build a rhythm and keep going. Once outside the Kanteerva stadium, it was nice to hear the rhythmic sound of steps. We turned into Cubbon park, the lights were dim and the sound of footsteps and few bits of conversations was all one could hear. It felt nice and peaceful. Within a kilometre a guy started to play Hindi songs on speaker with any concern for others. Worse part was he was running at almost my pace. Tried to block him out and then a Bhangra team was belting out there beats near high court and dancing and this soon drowned out this DJ. My heart rate was hovering around 160. Towards the end of road near GPO signal, there was big pool of water occupying the road, had go around the opposite side and then took a U turn. I was running on footpath and thinking of avoiding the puddle, a volunteer blocked my way and asked me run on the road, I thought what the hell and ran around him. Fellow runners shouted at me saying I missed the timing mat. Thanked them and ran back, apologized to the volunteer and crossed the mat. I must have lost 10-15 seconds there. I started feel thirsty soon, I took a swig at the next water station next to High Court inside Cubbon park. I was surprised I was thirsty so early. I held back my urge to run faster and brought down my heart rate to around 140, close to my target. Next couple of Km in Cubbon park was uneventful. Soon there were couple of guys running together over took me from either side and closed me down right in front of me. I almost tangled my foot with theirs. I protested asking what are they up to, they quickly apologized. Soon they caught up with a lady ahead of me and did exaclty the same thing, overtaking form wither side and closed her down, she had adjust her stride and was irritated, but dint say anything. I thought wow how runners do this. Soon I was out of Cubbon park and on Kastubha road for the biggest climb. It was easy but my heart rate went up to 155. So slowed down and took it easy. Cubbon road and was nice and flat, towards the end the 4:00 hrs bus and 4:15 bus were on the way back after the U turn at Manipal centre, I started to worry a bit even thought it was 7th or 8th km. I told myself it will be a negative split with and with constant low heart rate. I controlled myself, kept my heart rate around 140. I took a check of all body parts and they felt good.
Soon Naveen from Wipro caught up with me, I was surprised that he was running a marathon. He told me it was his marathon and he had a done 4 hour 40k run. I thought wow, told him about my failed last run. He soon left me behind. I controlled my urge to catch up. I soon entered MG road. I ate had taken a banana and finished it slowly. Then my soft Qatari dates and washed it down with water. Then it was again Kasurbha road Cubbon park and back to Kanteerva Stadium for first loop. After 20k I accelerated a bit, I was behind my targeted time, by the time I finished my 21.1k it was 2:02,
I had complete my next HM in 1:58, which was still fine. But I still dreaded post 33K.
On the way back I met a guy from Sasken whom I had not seen for more than 10 years, spoke to him briefly and carried on. I accelerated slightly, my heart rate stated going above 150, but I was not feeling tired. I was alternating between gummies and dates and washed it down with water. By 25k I was hungry, I stopped and tried Enerzal. It felt good. So much for the discpline of not trying anything new. I also picked a banana, my favoured running food.
Soon exited cubbon park, then Kasturba road and then Cubbon road. Now i started going slightly faster because even 4:15 bus was ahead of me it was almost 30 k and I had taken 2hr 52 min. I soon over took the 4:15 bus and towards the end of Cubbon road, the 4:00 hrs buses were at least 1 km away, then it stuck to me the catching up 1 km in last 12 k would be big challenge. 1 hr 10 min for 12.2 K was still within my reach. I accelerated steadily with any quickly change in pace. Body was still feeling good. I was refuelling steadily, started feel the fatigue but nothing out of the way. I also realized I was picking out runners one by one in front of me. Nobody was overtaking me. I finally saw Rajesh he was about 1.5 km behind me.
While going towards KSCA stadium, I saw the first of half marathoners coming up. I felt a small pull near my groin, but nothing to worry, soon near end of Cubbon road and near Minsk square, I saw a medical centre, I decided I will spray myself on the groin more as preventive measure. I asked the girl holding the spray to give me. She said she will spray herself, I politely insisted that I will do it myself, she said enthusiastically said she will do it for me. I told he her it was near on thighs and I wanted to do it myself and then she relented and gave me. I sprayed on my groin lifting my shorts, then she she realized why I was insisting.
I took a turn at Minsk square and it downward gradient, the HMers overtook me, I accelerated there quite a bit. Post race I realized that was my fastest Km at 5:17. Soon on to MG road,
I started to accelerate, took in more bananas and Enerzal. I also realized people around me were also tiring. At 32k I was at 3hrs 4 min, that was about 56 min for 10.2k, that was doable under normal circumstances. Last 10k of a marathon was a challenge. I told myself, I was here to challenge myself and would go for it. Lot of HMers started to overtake on MG road. The upward gradient towards the end of MG road Kumble circle made me tired. It was difficult to decide between maintaining the pace or preserve myself for last 7k. There was a niggle below my right knee, it was not going away but was not hampering me. I decide to preserve without slowing too much. Couple of FMers overtook me, I held myself back. At 35 K, I was at 3 hr 20 mins, i.e. 40 min for 7.2 k, was tiring rapidly but still on track. I entered Kasturbha road and started looking for Prathibha and Rishabh. I was looking forward to run with Rishabh for the last 5-6 km, with him as my pacer. The fatigue had set in, even the cap I was wearing felt heavy. I put the wrong way so that I could catch some breeze. The previous day rains made the weather little humid and it I started I feeling it. Towards the end of Kasturbha road, I spotted my family, It felt so energized, blew kisses at them, realized people were smiling at the scene.
I handed over my cap to Rishabh and he started off in front me. It was 36.7 kms and time as 3:30. 5k to go in 30 mins, was confident about doing it within 4 hours. Just at the end of 37 kms, disaster stuck, I caught a side snitch on my right side,
I took in fluids stopped and took a few deep breaths, but it wasn’t going away. I stopped for almost 30 seconds. I continued running taking in deep breaths, felt slightly better. Rishabh was of great help encouraging me and pushing me. 38k it was 3:36, 4.2 k was to be done in 24 mins. Next 1/2 km the snitch hit me with vengeance. Lost about a min again, trying slow down and taking deep breaths. I slowed down to 6 kmph. At the end of 39 kms, I was at 3:43. 3.2 k in 17 min, I could do it was my thought. But the snitch on right felt like some animal was holding on to me with its jaws on edge of my ribs. I slowed down considerably even at minor upward gradients. Then managed to reach Ambedkar Veedhi, it was downhill from there. I managed to be back at 5:30 kmph. At 40 km it was 3hrs 48 mins. 2.2k in 12 mins, I was hurting like crazy. My speed was varying too much. The pain was making me panic. Rishabh was egging me. I poured water on myself, the coldness gave me a jolt. I held on to a 5:30 pace but could not go any faster. My right nipple chaffed and started to burn. I exited Cubbon park and turned towards the stadium. I saw the 4:00 hrs bus enter the stadium and looked at my watch it was 3:57 and about 700 meters to go. We were in front of the stadium with half km to go. Rishabh stopped, I was missing him. It was 3 hrs 58 min. I was exhausted, ate gummies but spat out. By the time I took the U turn at coffee day square, my snitch was hurting real bad. I felt helpless. Looked at my watch it was 3hr 59 min and 300 meters to go. I knew I lost it then. I wobbled for another 100 odd meters, then turned into the stadium which was downhill. I produces a burst of acceleration and snitch started to hurt me even worse. It was already 4 hours, I turned into the stadium on to the track It was it was already 4 hours 1 min.
I burst out with whatever energy was left in me and crossed the finish line and collapsed on to the advertisement boards. I was so disappointed that I missed the 4 hours mark, I felt like crying. Some people came to help me, Rishabh and Prathibha joined me and congratulated. I was feeling so bad, saying thank you hurt me. I felt I dint deserve it.
I politely refused the stretcher that was brought. I just drank water and took support of Rishabh and walked towards area where medals were being distributed.
I asked person to give to Rishabh. After resting my side snitch was gone. My body felt good but the niggle below right knee was still there. I felt better after sometime, I had finished in 4:01:14, it was 27 min improvement and was in decent shape. Running a marathon close 4 hours started feel good at last.
Stretched for some time, took help of masseurs, and ate lots of Greek yogurt. I took selfies with Priyank, Cognizant friend whom I met after 6-7 years. Congratulated other Wipro runners and walked 2 km to the car.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Malnad ultra

I decided to sign up for the Malnad Ultra inspired by Praful of Free runners. In preparation, I ran the Nandi hills bull run 25kms in Aug. It took out 10 days from my marathon training due to body ache. The steep 700 ft stairs climb and the crazy run down hill hurt me. My Bengaluru marathon was disappointing. I realized I had not put in enough long runs, thanks to Bull run, Wipro run and a bout of cold and fever. So I decided to do a long run and only available opportunity was on 19th Oct, 6 days after Bengaluru marathon, I decided to run for 5 hours on Airport road. I did an easy self supported run, was feeling good during the run and wrapped it up after 43 kms in 4 hrs 35 min. My longest run ever. I really felt good and confident. 2 marathons in a span of 1 week was good prep I thought. Next weekend was an easy half marathon and then taper down. I had not booked anything to stay at Chickamaglur, Sathish a common friend had assured me it is booked for me too. Pradhyumna of free ru

Breaking 4 - Preparation

It’s an unimaginative title. But after the last year's touch and go, completing marathon in 4 hours had become my single focus of running. I registered early and came up with a training plan based on Hal Higdon's intermediate plan spread over 16 weeks. Total mileage was 725 kms over the 4 months. My plan was to run Tempo on Tuesdays , Intervals on Thursdays, LSD Saturdays and Sundays was Fartlek as our WRC coach Hari decided at Cubbon park. Week days had to accommodate my long travel to office and work hours. Plan was to hit 55-60 Kms/week for last 5 weeks I had focused on Bengaluru 10k challenge, so my max distance was around 12k when I started on 8-July. Spirit of Wipro run half marathon on 25-Sep was part of my plan. Started on 8 July, the first 4 weeks went according to the plan. Waking up early on Tuesdays and Thursdays affected my sleep pattern, so was waking too early and falling asleep towards dawn. My week mileage was getting affected. But I was making up during Sa

Under Armour Charged Bandit review

Now that Under Armour has come to India via Amazon, thought i will share my experience of using their shoes. Have been using Under Armour's Charged Bandit for last 8 months. I have run 750 odd kms in these shoes. Bought this pair in US.Charged bandit is for long run and it printed inside with biggest font. Have used it for training and for my first marathon. It is comfortable shoes fits the feet snugly, gives a nice bounce while running quickly, feels quick, provides very good support to the feet. Made for neutral feet. Look: Nicely designed with understated good looks, am using a black and neon green combination with white sole and near the heels. Upper part is flexible andvery breathable with double layer mesh. The sole has grren support in shape of bones in the feet, nice touch. Feel: Feels soft and comfortable with lot of arc support. In fact, it is slight uncomfortable on one of my feet. I just had push down the support for my left foot which is slightly flatter th