Skip to main content

Breaking 4 - Preparation

It’s an unimaginative title. But after the last year's touch and go, completing marathon in 4 hours had become my single focus of running.
I registered early and came up with a training plan based on Hal Higdon's intermediate plan spread over 16 weeks. Total mileage was 725 kms over the 4 months. My plan was to run Tempo on Tuesdays , Intervals on Thursdays, LSD Saturdays and Sundays was Fartlek as our WRC coach Hari decided at Cubbon park. Week days had to accommodate my long travel to office and work hours. Plan was to hit 55-60 Kms/week for last 5 weeks
I had focused on Bengaluru 10k challenge, so my max distance was around 12k when I started on 8-July. Spirit of Wipro run half marathon on 25-Sep was part of my plan.
Started on 8 July, the first 4 weeks went according to the plan. Waking up early on Tuesdays and Thursdays affected my sleep pattern, so was waking too early and falling asleep towards dawn. My week mileage was getting affected. But I was making up during Saturdays and Sundays. First 8 weeks went off more or less as planned. I was increasing 3 kms every Saturday and hit 32 kms.
I was training at GKVK beyond 27k. A nice place with 11k loop. With couple mean gradients. I ran the 32k in 3 hours 2 mins with a negative split of 5 mins, was feeling great. At 24k I came up small gradient after a downhill trail, my right knee was creaking, I stopped and sat down wondering what went wrong. I refuelled myself, couldn’t understand the reason, tied running after 4-5 mins, it was all fine. I was pleasantly surprised and completed my run.
The next week according to plan was reduce to 21k but a corresponding increase in tempo and interval distance. I could not do increase my weekday runs so decided to hit 35k on Saturday. After running 10k, i was running downhill when I felt a niggle in my left ankle. Did some calf stretches and tried running again, the pain increased, so stopped running. Decided to rest for some time and restart. This is what I usually do for niggles and it works.
So took an early refueling break and tried running bit it was getting worse. Tried for a km and abandoned the run.
I searched the internet for reason and solution and narrowed down to two things, strengthening and shoes. My good old Mizuno Sayonara has done nearly 1300 kms and it was time to change. I had planned 1 day for yoga and 2 days strengthening. My focus on strengthening exercise which I had reduced, so renewed focus on cross training.
Now for shoes, wanted to try new brand. First stop was Nike, like Pegasus but felt a bit soft and long tongue was irritating my shin. I thought i will come back after trying other shoes. Next stop Adidas, Ultraboost was too tight, tried Solar boost, which was very comfortable, but price was 12k. Decided to check on New balance couldn’t find a shop. Checked online for Mizunos there was a great discount on Jabong, just decided to go for it. I dint need any breaking in or adjustments. Bought a blue one, my old orange model still was double the price.


Back to running, rested for a week, then ran a slow 10k increased it to 20k. There was slight pain but felt much better. Next week was Wipro half marathon. Did some careful shorter distances. Running faster around 5 min pace or downhill was a bit of challenge.
Ran the Wipro HM bettered my PB a minute 1:47:14. It was on NICE road a tough terrain. I was not at all confident before the run, but felt good without any signs ankle injury post the run.
My farthest distance was 32 k so far and had not run beyond 21k last weeks and 4 weeks left for my marathon. 2 week to be left out for taper down. Next week i planned 35k ended up with 33k. My colleague Naveen joined me at GKVK, ran slow just wanted increase the distance. I took 3hrs 20 mins. But i was fine as long as i was not injured. My motto (Not mine) was and healthy runner always finishes better than and injured one. I totally had stopped Interval training and tempos were slower.
Next week was 36-38k, my last long run. I knew I was increasing mileage drastically, but wanted to before marathon. Started at 5:15 the sky was overcast with occasional drizzle, weather was great for running. All was well, took two refueling breaks at 10k and 20k for about a minute and half. I was at about 25 minute coming down from the trail and going up the gradient, my right knee felt as though something was rubbing underneath. It was almost at the same spot and around same distance at 25k about 6 weeks earlier. I was really confused and was worrying. I swung my knees a few times and walked slowly for 5 mins and yo the pain was gone. I restarted gingerly and could feel no effects. Completed 36k, decided I will do a 38k but consciously ran away from car. 38th was an uphill and struggled. A couple stopped me for direction, I dint want to stop I said am new and went on, it was not nice but dint want to stop. 39th kms was downhill, ran joyously in 5:10. I had run about 630 Kms with 42.
My time was 3:46. I had stopped the watch for injury and refueling breaks, but this gave a lot of confidence. I drove home but felt strong, just a bit tired. Freshened up and celebrated a reunion with college friends. I drove around quite a bit, all body parts felt good. This was an enormous boost to confidence.
Next 2 weeks were taper down. The next Saturday, I ran a 15 k at 5:25 Pace. I could hold constant pace without tiring much. Met Mr. Krishanan of free runner on cycle.
Compared to last year my post run foot was better, more proteins with Chia lime juice added. Pre run fuelling was boiled sweet potato and a banana. Refueling during runs was predominantly dates and gummy bears. If my car was nearby banana and a little more sweet potato..
I was raring to go below 4. I was expecting to finish between 3:54 to 3:59. Planned HM between 1:57-1-59 and do a negative split.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Malnad ultra

I decided to sign up for the Malnad Ultra inspired by Praful of Free runners. In preparation, I ran the Nandi hills bull run 25kms in Aug. It took out 10 days from my marathon training due to body ache. The steep 700 ft stairs climb and the crazy run down hill hurt me. My Bengaluru marathon was disappointing. I realized I had not put in enough long runs, thanks to Bull run, Wipro run and a bout of cold and fever. So I decided to do a long run and only available opportunity was on 19th Oct, 6 days after Bengaluru marathon, I decided to run for 5 hours on Airport road. I did an easy self supported run, was feeling good during the run and wrapped it up after 43 kms in 4 hrs 35 min. My longest run ever. I really felt good and confident. 2 marathons in a span of 1 week was good prep I thought. Next weekend was an easy half marathon and then taper down. I had not booked anything to stay at Chickamaglur, Sathish a common friend had assured me it is booked for me too. Pradhyumna of free ru

Under Armour Charged Bandit review

Now that Under Armour has come to India via Amazon, thought i will share my experience of using their shoes. Have been using Under Armour's Charged Bandit for last 8 months. I have run 750 odd kms in these shoes. Bought this pair in US.Charged bandit is for long run and it printed inside with biggest font. Have used it for training and for my first marathon. It is comfortable shoes fits the feet snugly, gives a nice bounce while running quickly, feels quick, provides very good support to the feet. Made for neutral feet. Look: Nicely designed with understated good looks, am using a black and neon green combination with white sole and near the heels. Upper part is flexible andvery breathable with double layer mesh. The sole has grren support in shape of bones in the feet, nice touch. Feel: Feels soft and comfortable with lot of arc support. In fact, it is slight uncomfortable on one of my feet. I just had push down the support for my left foot which is slightly flatter th