Skip to main content

Breaking 4

The D day was 21st October. I checked some race predictors, predicted finish was between 3:52 to 4:01, Oh no! not 4:01 again. Was determined to complete within 4 hrs. Set my alarm for 2:30 am but ended up waking up at 1 am, like last year. Took an Ola cab and reached Kanteerava stadium by 3:15. Warmed up for about half hour. Looked for Free runners but couldn't spot anybody. Finally, met Rakesh of WRC and was actually happy to meet a known person. We discussed our race strategies. Mine was to complete half marathon between 1:56 and 1:59 and do a negative split. Run at an average 5:35 to 5:38 pace. No accelerations stay calm even if I were slower. Keep the 4 hour bus in sight and over take him in third quarter.
We were about 20 m from start line; there was no sign of 4 hr bus. Didn't worry much, my reference was my watch and body.
The race was flagged off, exited the stadium slowly, everything was calm and quiet except for thumping feet. Rakesh was running at the same pace. The first km was slower than planned took more than 6 mins. So much for my longer than usual warm up. Never mind, it normally took about 15 mins for me to get into a rhythm. Entered Cubbon park, the lighting was poor, ran a bit carefully. Exited at coffee day square went up the Kasturba Road. There was slight twitch in my right knee. Once I entered Cubbon road which is a slight down gradient felt better. But there was no sign of 4 hr bus. Rakesh had taken off after 3-4 kms. I was timing below 5:40. What I had observed during my training runs was that the average pace at end of every km was faster than instant pace shown by Tom Tom watch. It gave some buffer. But today it was close to instant pace or slightly slower, was wondering why, it also meant I had to maintain below 5:40 pace all along. Checked my heart rate it had dropped to around 150 which was good.
I spotted the 4 hr bus with a fairly large bunch of 15 runners, at around 9 kms. They came streaming like a train than bus. They caught up with me and overtook, I tried staying with them but the pace was too much. Possibly faster than 5:30, I let go sticking to my planned pace.
Was near Chinnaswamy usually a fast stretch with nice down gradient, my knee started to hurt a bit. I did some high knees and ran on the water run out space which was narrow but flat. Entered MG Road it was a downhill after Anil Kumble circle. I decided gain some speed because I had lost the 4 bus. I saw Manoj Bhat leading 3:45 bus. The guy stays couple of block from my home. Tried to strike conversation with a guy running at my pace, he responded but felt he wanted to be left alone. There a slightly bigger and stronger older runner almost matching my pace, met him later and came to know his name was Ravindra. I spotted 4 hrs bus on their way back after the U turn at Dickenson road junction. They were more than a 750m ahead. I was fine with my pace wanted to conserve my energy. I started eating my dates and Gummies downing with water.
I was doing high knees once in few kms, I could feel the niggle in my right knee. I saw a guy from Sasken who was part of my Quiz team, we were runners up then, became nostalgic thinking of the Titan watch which we won and I still wear.
Entered Cubbon park and exited near Vidhan Soudha, I spotted a guy from Cochin soles, we had sprinted to finish at Chennai marathon and I managed to overtake him after a tough sprint. I said hi and introduced myself saying we had run to finish together, he seemed to recall and then I moved on. Completed the half marathon in 1:59, which one loop.

It was slightly slower than what I wanted to. I thought last year I had done a negative split of 3 minutes, so I should still do 3:56 - 3:57 and if I feel strong may be below 3:55.
<

I accelerated a slightly maintaining 5:35 pace entered Cubbon park, Naveen called out, felt good. I was surprised that he was so much behind, thought he must have started late. Then I saw Ashok, call him out as Anand, and then corrected myself. Saw Guru again of Free Runners, near Vidhan Soudha and then Krishnan Sir. He was encouraging saying I should finish by 3:45. he ran with me for a few meters. What enthu at 67, loved it. I had totally lost sight of 4 hour bus by then. Entered Cubbon park for the second time, my knee was hurting slightly, but was still running fine. I started looking for Bananas and found it at refuelling station was happy to nibble away. Made it a point to pick up at every station and alternate it with a date. The knee started to hurt stopped at Queen's road for 5 secs did high knees and restarted. The Cubbon road was down hill I accelerated a bit, Ravindra was still with me. I had closed on 4 hrs bus the group size was lesser. I also caught a glimpse of Rakesh who was on the way back. I held a steady pace. There was a slight pull on my right upper thigh. I sprayed pain relief and continued. I completed 32 kms in 2:59. 10k in 1 hour should be quite doable. I was hoping for a 3:55 finish at 5:30 pace. The race had begun. The next stretch between Cubbon road to MG road was downhill and was my fastest km last year, I accelerated slightly. Last year the Half marathon runners stated to overtake in this stretch, but nobody this year, felt I may be faster and was satisfied. I turned to MG road. There was coach Hari, G and Bhushan cheering on. Felt good. There was a photographer gave a bright smile and moved on.
I saw Rakesh ahead of me slowing down and start to walk. I tried to cheer him on. He said carry on. I then spotted the 4 hours it was down to few people. I was overtaking people steadily. The first of the half marathoner overtook me. Took a U turn at Dickenson Road junction and overtook 4 hours bus, felt good, there were 3-4 people left in the bus. It was a downhill and then a uphill, did a quick 35 to 36 km. Tiredness started to creep in.
I was looking forward to see my family, which included mom and sister this time. Down the Kasturba road I heard my name being called out. I was thrilled. Rishabh as like last 2 years joined me when I entered Cubbon Park. This time Richica also joined, felt even better. I started to feel the fatigue. I was running out of dates, so decided i will try Enerzal, I had enjoyed it last year. I drank but my body refused to take it in, I spat out, took some water. next was the 300 m uphill, all familiar terrain. I was feeling tiered so slowed down a bit and went uphill, then it was downhill and I tried to make up my legs weren't moving as quickly. Then came the uphill towards high court, it extend slightly beyond the gate. It was hardly 100m I was walking by the time I could take the turn. I felt discomfort in my stomach. Oops reminded me of last year. Remembered I had to use my stomach for breathing. It was downhill, my children were egging me on. I accelerated a bit looked at the pace it was showing 6:40 pace. I couldn't believe it, thought it was not showing correct pace. With the effort I was putting in, I felt it should have been 5:40. Then I realized i may a bonk. I remembered back up, the fast and up Gel in my back pocket.Last year had forgotten about it. Opened it and put it in my mouth, I felt like vomiting. I gave it Rishica and pulled out the last remaining date to eat, I felt like throwing up I spat it out. Not a good sign, had just completed 38 kms and taken 6:14 for the km. It felt like last year all over again.
Checked the time it was 3 hrs 33 min, 27 min for 4.2 kms was still doable. I went up to the water station. I just could not move, Rishabh was urging me carry on. Rested for a few seconds collected my thoughts and drank some water. It was one mean up about 800m, if I could make it, it was downhill after that. I said to myself build a steady rhythm and breathe with stomach, it was fine to slow down on this uphill but needed to survive. The 4 hr bus passed with just 2 people along one was a big foreigner. I restarted it was down for about 150m my regular place of start at Cubbon park near band stand. I focused on being steady and the breathing. I was slow but eventually running at around 6 min pace. As I neared the high court, I thought I would bonk, I ended up walking, the peak was about 20-30m away, it was tough even to walk. 39 kms had taken 3hr 39 mins, that was 21 mins left for 3.2 kms. Despite Rishabh's encouragement it was tough, was scared thinking of last year. Turned right on Ambedkar Veedhi, was just happy to see downhill. Took a few deep breaths, the foreigner was also walking exhausted the 4 hour bus was gone, he dint look like in a good condition. I started jogging, passed him and urged him to join, he said thanks but couldn't run with me. I managed to build the rhythm again. It felt wonderful to be able move again with added bonus of my kid running with me.
I built up pace up to 5:25 min. 40th km was in 6 min and I felt much better. Ever small uphill slowed me but I was steady, I was doing less than 6 min/kms. It was 3:51 at the end of 41. 1.2 kms to go in 8 mins, I was starting to feel confident, but couldn't take any risks.
I realized my pacer and cheerleader had gone missing, dint matter now it was 1 kms and I could do it.
I exited Cubbon Park could see the straight stretch till coffee day square. I tried increasing my pace, but was only expending effort, I could feel my heart rate increase and breathing was becoming difficult. Good thing was I was still below 6 and only 500 meter to go. I could hear Sneha, mummy, Prathibha cheering. Rishabh, Rishica joined again. There was the last U turn at Coffee day square, I took a long turn so as not to reduce my pace. My heart rate had shot up and every step was huge effort, but it was only 300m. I knew I had to survive till the gate of stadium, then it was a nice downward slope. Turned at the gate and accelerated downhill and onto the track, I had build a quite a pace by then. I saw 3:59:30 on board.
I took off like mad, though I knew i was within 4 hours, I dint want to slow down in fact I accelerated like crazy, the clock time about 3:59:40 when I finished, stopped my watch at 3:59:32. I collapsed, but this year I had a huge grin, happy that I made it. Rishabh and Rishica congratulated me and I was happy and relieved and accepted it. I took the medal myself, felt much deserved.
I had broken the 4 hours. Finished in 3:59:32.

Comments

  1. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘Top class performance, beautifully detailed & hearty recount of your efforts in the race to breaking-4!!! Inspiring & motivating, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Ofcourse you deserve every bit of glory to collect the medal yourself. What a terrific feat. You are such an inspiration. Loved reading every bit of detail of the preparation to the finish. Very well documented. Thanks for sharing it with people who love the sport. Keeping running!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Malnad ultra

I decided to sign up for the Malnad Ultra inspired by Praful of Free runners. In preparation, I ran the Nandi hills bull run 25kms in Aug. It took out 10 days from my marathon training due to body ache. The steep 700 ft stairs climb and the crazy run down hill hurt me. My Bengaluru marathon was disappointing. I realized I had not put in enough long runs, thanks to Bull run, Wipro run and a bout of cold and fever. So I decided to do a long run and only available opportunity was on 19th Oct, 6 days after Bengaluru marathon, I decided to run for 5 hours on Airport road. I did an easy self supported run, was feeling good during the run and wrapped it up after 43 kms in 4 hrs 35 min. My longest run ever. I really felt good and confident. 2 marathons in a span of 1 week was good prep I thought. Next weekend was an easy half marathon and then taper down. I had not booked anything to stay at Chickamaglur, Sathish a common friend had assured me it is booked for me too. Pradhyumna of free ru

Breaking 4 - Preparation

It’s an unimaginative title. But after the last year's touch and go, completing marathon in 4 hours had become my single focus of running. I registered early and came up with a training plan based on Hal Higdon's intermediate plan spread over 16 weeks. Total mileage was 725 kms over the 4 months. My plan was to run Tempo on Tuesdays , Intervals on Thursdays, LSD Saturdays and Sundays was Fartlek as our WRC coach Hari decided at Cubbon park. Week days had to accommodate my long travel to office and work hours. Plan was to hit 55-60 Kms/week for last 5 weeks I had focused on Bengaluru 10k challenge, so my max distance was around 12k when I started on 8-July. Spirit of Wipro run half marathon on 25-Sep was part of my plan. Started on 8 July, the first 4 weeks went according to the plan. Waking up early on Tuesdays and Thursdays affected my sleep pattern, so was waking too early and falling asleep towards dawn. My week mileage was getting affected. But I was making up during Sa

Under Armour Charged Bandit review

Now that Under Armour has come to India via Amazon, thought i will share my experience of using their shoes. Have been using Under Armour's Charged Bandit for last 8 months. I have run 750 odd kms in these shoes. Bought this pair in US.Charged bandit is for long run and it printed inside with biggest font. Have used it for training and for my first marathon. It is comfortable shoes fits the feet snugly, gives a nice bounce while running quickly, feels quick, provides very good support to the feet. Made for neutral feet. Look: Nicely designed with understated good looks, am using a black and neon green combination with white sole and near the heels. Upper part is flexible andvery breathable with double layer mesh. The sole has grren support in shape of bones in the feet, nice touch. Feel: Feels soft and comfortable with lot of arc support. In fact, it is slight uncomfortable on one of my feet. I just had push down the support for my left foot which is slightly flatter th