Skip to main content

The Malnad ultra run

Woke up at around 3 and quickly got ready. I had hardly slept, guess it was fine, this is the story before every event. We were packed into buses at Ballavara Junction and driven to the start point at Makalmaradi estate The air was cold and I looked up to see beautiful sight of innumerable stars overhead. We walked up to start point about half a km. There were bright lights and music near the start point. We were asked to proceed to breakfast area. I was wondering what was cooking and maybe it was for 80k and 110k particpants. But everybody was in queue including 50k people.
I was trying to figure out what to eat, the menu was elobrate salads, upittu, kesari bath, eggs, rice bath, ... I settled for few pieces of cucmber, tomatoes, a little Kesari and Khara bath. I was was not sure if my stomach could handle it. I had my own fuel in pockets. 1 full packet of jaggery and other dry fruits and 440 ml water. We took lot photos before the run and it was like a festival, people enjoying themsleves.
Race director Anand briefed us about race, he warned us about the state of route, which he said was in pretty bad shape because of rains till 2 days back and explained how diffcult it was for them to mark the route and arrange for ligistics. He warned us not to follow people but look out for markers our self. The routes had to be changed because of lack of permisson by Coffee day Estate and the route had much more uphills and condition of path was poor. The 110K and 80k runners were give head start of 30 and 15 mins respectively. We started at 7 am. My strategy was simple just finish. Take is easy first half and then manage to finish, respect the the uphills and try running downhills. My plan was to finish between 6 and 6.5 hours based on pervious years timing. I told myself it was just a reference. Flag off was at 7 am. First 4 kms were on tarred road or what was left of it. As usual there was a rush, was wondering why people do that, all the people running have run marathons. The route turned into a trail and uphill, this it self was pretty steep and ground was slushy. I was carefully avoiding getting slush, I did not want water or slush get into the shoes. People were talking how technical this course was. I was wondering what technical was. The first downhill many were asking for side and zipping past, I was jogging slowly and carefully maintaing a steady pace, did not let heart spike up. It was cool and shady with hardly any sunlight reaching the ground, beautiful pace to trek. I carried my mobile to click photos. I could not belive i could do this. I decide to drink water, I took my sipper and lifted my head to drink and twisted my ankle, this was my first sip of water. I decided from next time onwards i will stop and drink water, will drink while running on flat road. We reached a cliff with gorgeous view, i could not help but take some pics,
It was downhill and I made steady progress. I was running with a group, there couple of ladies who were literally sprinting downhills and took the hills very slow. Side. side was the word that used commonly to ask for way, I naughtily stopped and asked which side they want. Liked the experession when they dint know how to react. I still was carefully nursing my bright neon shoes so that it doest get dirtied, at one place the path was so slushy we had take detour into the into the woods, my left foot went into the slush and water entered shoes, I decide i will more carefully going forward, it was matter of time before my shoes and ankle were deep inside slush, then it became normal.
At 19km was the breakfast break, it had taken 2 hrs 40 mins, I felt it was too early but my stomach was okay. I just ate mouth full of Upittu and Kesari bath again and continued. I was walking up and ruuning down streadily. Started slowly and steadily overtaking people. There were a few who were still overtaking me. I had decide I will just finish the run without thinking of time. At around 24th kms, we were running along a narrow path there was a guy who was almost walking but not letting others pass by, the guy in fron of me was irritated he literally pushing the guy and overtook. I waited patiently the path slightly widend i went on the rough side and tried overtaking, I twisted my ankle on stone hidden in grass, experienced a sharp pain in left ankle which went upto the kness. I took a few steps it wasnt feeling good at all. Last thing I wanted was a DNF. I walked a bit limping slightly, started feeling better after couple of minutes, I started a jogging, it was not as bad i thought earlier. I jogged slowly for a few minutes, then felt normal and I continued.
Reached 30 kms cut off well within the time, the sun was already up and doused my self with water. it was 4 hr 25 minutes, it was already close to my longest time on feet. I still had 20 kms to go. I took stock of my body, felt good, no pains in any part of the body. We crossed a 3-4 peaks which had and inclinaton of more than 45 deg. I realized one should just look down and continue without looking up, Looking up deflated us. I met captain P Singh from the Navy. He said he was the first Indian to complete the Manali to Leh 5 days 5 manarthon, guess it was aptly called Hell's race. I told him this must be a picnic, he said these elevations and path are actually making hime nervous and this was much tougher. I moved on. It was uphill next 4-5 kms. I started eat my Jaggery and dry fruits but felt water was not adequate, first time I felt my 440 ml was not enough I conserved water, I was eating mostly organges at water stations and energy drinks. At around 36th km the water station was down hill, I was relived to run down towards the station, there was only water and energy drink, and a few oranges. Some people were angrily protesting lack of other things to eat. I just filled my bottles with water and energy drink and moved on, it was down hill for few kms.
I overtook some of the people who were steadily moving ahead for last 15-20 kms. I felt good, there were 2 people one lady running 80k and slight older person who kept increasing the lead whenever i closed in on them. Reminded myself I was in the race to complete not overtake. around 40kms was a couple of kms exposed to sun, where we had taken photos close to the start. It started to drain me out. Then there was a uphill after that. My water was down to few drop, every bite of food required more water. My thighs started to hurt and the next station was atleast 2-3 kms, I for the first time stopped to take rest, I sat down for couple of minutes i was literally crawling.
I managed to get and start, I felt faint and almost fell down, finished my last drop of water, another guy also came and sat, he also was exhausted. One lady came and asked for water, had show her the empty bottle. I got up and started walking, tried to motivate the other guy but he told me carry on. It was close to the highest point of the the run. The last climb to the peak was terrible. I could see others also suffering, finally made it the top, from there it was slight down hill. I met a guy doing 110km with slightly large bottle of water with a quarter left, requested him for a sip, he gave it, just took a sip and retured, he told me take more, I politely declined mentioned he would require it. I was very thankful to him. I arrived at the last station gladly drank water, but nothing much to eat. It was mostly steady down hill, I picked up pace, body was still feeling good. My Tomtom watch to distance markers were close till 30-32 km, by 40 the differece was more than 1/2 kms. Watch was showing less, but was happy because I had to finish based on race markers. I even overtook the lady and older gentleman, felt good I increase my pace, started to target the next person ahead of me and was able to overtake especially on uphills. The 4 kms from fishish was tar road, was thrilled, it was sunny at around 1:30 PM after nearly 7 plus hours of run, was feeling good. It was mostly uphill from there, i was walking steadily. Theere was a down hill before last up towards the end, I hit 5:30 pace then came an uphill, I tried running, I felt a cramp in my upper thigh, I drank water, walked a bit but could not run felt pretty bad, could not even jog, a few people overtook me in last 1 km. But i was still okay. I could see the finish line from a bend it was a downhill, but i could not run. Last 200 meter was flat, the sight of finish line gave me energy to run towards the line despite alarms from my thighs.
Yes i did it my first Ultra in really tough condition. Recived my buckle, I was very happy, felt I had earned it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Malnad ultra

I decided to sign up for the Malnad Ultra inspired by Praful of Free runners. In preparation, I ran the Nandi hills bull run 25kms in Aug. It took out 10 days from my marathon training due to body ache. The steep 700 ft stairs climb and the crazy run down hill hurt me. My Bengaluru marathon was disappointing. I realized I had not put in enough long runs, thanks to Bull run, Wipro run and a bout of cold and fever. So I decided to do a long run and only available opportunity was on 19th Oct, 6 days after Bengaluru marathon, I decided to run for 5 hours on Airport road. I did an easy self supported run, was feeling good during the run and wrapped it up after 43 kms in 4 hrs 35 min. My longest run ever. I really felt good and confident. 2 marathons in a span of 1 week was good prep I thought. Next weekend was an easy half marathon and then taper down. I had not booked anything to stay at Chickamaglur, Sathish a common friend had assured me it is booked for me too. Pradhyumna of free ru

Breaking 4 - Preparation

It’s an unimaginative title. But after the last year's touch and go, completing marathon in 4 hours had become my single focus of running. I registered early and came up with a training plan based on Hal Higdon's intermediate plan spread over 16 weeks. Total mileage was 725 kms over the 4 months. My plan was to run Tempo on Tuesdays , Intervals on Thursdays, LSD Saturdays and Sundays was Fartlek as our WRC coach Hari decided at Cubbon park. Week days had to accommodate my long travel to office and work hours. Plan was to hit 55-60 Kms/week for last 5 weeks I had focused on Bengaluru 10k challenge, so my max distance was around 12k when I started on 8-July. Spirit of Wipro run half marathon on 25-Sep was part of my plan. Started on 8 July, the first 4 weeks went according to the plan. Waking up early on Tuesdays and Thursdays affected my sleep pattern, so was waking too early and falling asleep towards dawn. My week mileage was getting affected. But I was making up during Sa

Under Armour Charged Bandit review

Now that Under Armour has come to India via Amazon, thought i will share my experience of using their shoes. Have been using Under Armour's Charged Bandit for last 8 months. I have run 750 odd kms in these shoes. Bought this pair in US.Charged bandit is for long run and it printed inside with biggest font. Have used it for training and for my first marathon. It is comfortable shoes fits the feet snugly, gives a nice bounce while running quickly, feels quick, provides very good support to the feet. Made for neutral feet. Look: Nicely designed with understated good looks, am using a black and neon green combination with white sole and near the heels. Upper part is flexible andvery breathable with double layer mesh. The sole has grren support in shape of bones in the feet, nice touch. Feel: Feels soft and comfortable with lot of arc support. In fact, it is slight uncomfortable on one of my feet. I just had push down the support for my left foot which is slightly flatter th